Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kiwi Vincent and Tomuri

Posted by Jaxcon 9/FL (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 14, 12 at 11:07

Thinking about growing Fuzzy Kiwi in my yard on a flat tellis (think 4 x 8 lattice in a 4 x 4 frame), questions is, is this enough space and how would you train the vines for a flat verticle trellis?

Kevin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kiwi Vincent and Tomuri

Nowhere near enough room to grow a pair of fuzzy kiwis!! These vines can easily reach 30' and develop a huge woody trunk and that will happen a lot faster than you might expect in a warm, suitable climate like yours. In fact, I would not recommend kiwi for a trellis vine at all - they will need a strong and relatively tall vertical support and then something to spread out on. I have seem them growing up an 8' 4x4 porch column, then spreading over an open, lattice roof, growing up a 60' Douglas fir and trained along a 50' section of 6' tall chain link fence.

Whatever may be appropriate to support wisteria in your area is what you will need for the kiwis, only keep in mind that pruning requirements will be very different - you don't want to hard prune kiwis like you would a wisteria.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here