Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilion

Honeysuckle issues

lilion
15 years ago

I planted red honeysuckle two or three years ago on a trellis, which runs north and south. It has a shady side to the west, because of obstructions and is sunny to the east, attached to my patio. I planted the honeysuckle on the shady side and it's growing well, but what I WANTED was to have a trellis covered with growth. What I HAVE is long naked vines 3/4 way up the 8' tall trellis and then leaves and blossums from there over the top. The vines pretty much went straight up, weaving in and out. It's okay on the patio side to look at, spilling over the top of the trellis, but it's not very attractive on the shade side, which was the whole idea. I've tried to train it a bit, weaving what few side shoots there are back thru the trellis when they stick out the sunny side, but more often than not they break, instead of bend.

I'm at a loss of what to do...give up and plant something that gets 3' tall in front of them on the shade side? Or is there something viney I could plant next to them to fill in the bare places? Would pruning the tops force more branches out the sides lower down?

Any advice is most welcome. Thank you.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting