Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting Bougainvillea next to house wall

Posted by wildzx none (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 11:40

hello all,
quick question. I hear that the roots of Bougainvillea are rough, tough and very hard; is this true? I planted 2 Bougainvillea next to my house wall, and plan is to have the vines climb up the chimney and wall.
Should I be concerned about the roots of the 2 Bougainvillea i planted effecting my house foundation, wall or something like that? will it be ok or should i move them in planters? thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting Bougainvillea next to house wall

I have no real knowledge except that Bouganvillea is planted against house walls all over Southern Europe. But building techniques might be different.

o
RE: Planting Bougainvillea next to house wall

You haven't posted your area, so it's difficult to say how vigorous the plants may grow for you.
"Old fashioned" bougs grow to almost tree-like proportions in warmer climates, with something for support, but the newer cultivars are much more restrained.
I would say that the roots are no worse than those of a rose - certainly large but not invasive as water-seeking tree roots might be.
I would check out the depth of your foundations, ANYTHING can penetrate under, and seek professional advice as it's better to spend $100 and shift a new plant, than pay thousands in house repairs.
I don't think there is any advantage in a raised pot in the same position if the roots will eventually go into the ground.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here