Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn_nevins

still no signs of life on my clematis or my wisteria

Lynn Nevins
11 years ago

Hi all.

So last year...maybe around the month of May... I got a clematis and a wisteria shrub. They were both put into pots. The wisteria did really well. I then cut it back...probably in the Fall, following some directions I'd found online....somthing about cutting it back to just over the third 'knuckle' from the soil line...something like that.

The clematis, while it had some growth last year, never really seemed to thrive. I did not do any kind of cutting back on that plant...I just left it as is.

As of today there is no green growth or otherwise signs of life on either plant. They definitely should have shown some green by now, right? So I guess I should assume they are dead? And if that's the case, I guess it wouldn't hurt to make a last ditch effort.... should I try cutting off all the dead growth on the clematis to see if that somehow rejuvenates it? And what about the wisteria? Maybe I can first try to scrape off the outer 'bark' with my fingernail and see if I see green underneath? And if I do not, should I try cutting the entire plant back further....to say just a few inches above the soil line, to see if that somehow rejuvenates it?

Thanks everybody!!

Comments (2)