Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can Virginia Creeper be trained?

Posted by yippee1999 6/7 NYC (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 30, 08 at 12:03

Hi all. I just bought a small virginia creeper plant in like a 1-quart pot. I bought it for the purposes of training it up a trellis I have made of some 2 x 4's and chicken wire. But upon seeing the plant, it looks quite woody. Will I in fact be able to weave this plant in and out of the wires so that it will eventually grow up the trellis on its own?

I've never trained a vine before, but I would have thought this plant would have thinner "stems"...but when I saw how woody it was, I'm afraid that if I try to train it the woody branches might snap/break....

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can Virginia Creeper be trained?

It will grow, probably quickly, on it's own. I would expect you would have to prune it, to keep it in control.

o
RE: Can Virginia Creeper be trained?

My neighbor has a virginia creeper planted on her side of the chain link fence that separates our yards. She cuts it down to the ground every year and it grows back to cover about 30 feet of the fence in one summer. I don't think you'll have a problem training it up a trellis. Sometimes the vines do break when I try to weave them into the fence - maybe ties would work well for you on your trellis. The vine my neighbor planted has very nice fall color.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here