Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drnewman6_gw

Why do Amethyst Falls Wisteria flowers smell like cat urine

drnewman6
11 years ago

I tried to post this message last week for some reason it didn't post.

I bought two Amethyst Falls Wisteria from a local nursery. I already have native wisteria growing but these said they bloom a couple times a year, so thought I'd try them.

We smelled cat pee within minutes of having them in the truck with us. It is HORRIBLE. I had them indoors at night for several nights before planting and they stunk up the whole house.

I've been around wisteria my whole life and it has one of the best smelling flowers I've ever smelled. What happened to this plant?

The flowers that were on them have now died, I hate to say I'm also thankful because while pretty the smell was too much. A few times I smelled the sweet smell of wisteria but mostly just a strong cat urine smell.

We didn't get them cheap, so I sure don't want to just destroy the plants. I don't understand how a wisteria smells this way.

Comments (9)

• drnewman6
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've always assumed the ones I have always had were American, as they grow wild out it the woods and on the roadsides in south AR. Maybe they aren't but they smell great.

• karyn1
    11 years ago

I have an Amethyst Falls but it has no scent. I thought that maybe it was just me that couldn't smell it but nobody has detected any smell and it's definitely an Amethyst Falls.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

The ones seen growing "wild" are most likely escapees of the Asian varieties, both of which are considered invasive species in parts of the country. And both of which have a lovely, fragrant aroma whern in bloom. Wisteria frutescens, our native species, is much more well-behaved but has a distinct aroma some find mildly to distinctly unpleasant. Plant scent is very subjective so what may offend one may not offer any scent or actually smell pleasant to another.

Odd so many plants can produce an aroma like cat pee - juniper tams are known for it as are certain species of boxwood. And apparently Amethyst Falls wisteria, too!!

• mistascott
    11 years ago

Mine smells like cat pee but only if you actually stick your nose in the bloom. Otherwise, they are great vines. If they are outside, I don't think you will notice the smell.

• Dzitmoidonc
    11 years ago

Mine smells like the old fashion rose scent that the old ladies doused themselves with. Just a musky, floral odor that immediately takes me back to when I laid down on my grandmother's carpet as a young child. My wife likes the smell, I'm sort of neutral.

• steve1young
    11 years ago

It took me 3 years to train mine into a 6-foot tree form and it died this winter. :(

Oh well, but back on topic ... sometimes the flowers smelled really sweet and grape-like and sometimes they smelled like cat urine. Go figure. If I remember correctly, they smelled sweeter and more pleasant when they were young and began to smell poorly as they aged.

This year I'm going to try again to form a Wisteria standard, but I'm using Wisteria macrostachya 'Blue Moon'. It's supposed to be more hardy, but like Amethyst Falls it's not crazy aggressive. Also, the flower panicles are longer (about 1 foot) and it supposed to repeat bloom at least 2-3 additional times through the season.

Wish me luck!

• lsimms
    11 years ago

I've got a 5 year vine of Amethyst. It's almost my favorite plant in my yard. The plethora of blooms...poetic.

• linda1407
    6 years ago

That andwers my question. My beautiful Wisteria has started to make the in doors of the bedroom it is near smell of cat urine ! Ugh! It is horrible. Now not sure what to do about it. Obviously getting old.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!