Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
This forum is kind of dangerous.

Posted by jamie_mt z4/5 MT (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 3, 08 at 12:13

Yes, it is. I was browsing yesterday looking for "care and feeding" (or not, as appears to be the case) for Morning Glories. I decided to plant them along our new, rather boring fence that will keep the dogs out of our "to be planted" garden area this year, and thought I should learn a little more about them. So I came here, and between forum discussions and the gallery, I was placing another order for more Morning Glory seeds as well as Moon Vine by the end of the day. Thanks to you guys, I now have to figure out where I'm going to put 5 MG's (with thier accompanying moon vines) along the fence (behind the roses that will be planted there as well). But it would have been really easy to order more...the pictures here are just too convincing!

It should make for a beautiful fence though...and if I can figure out how to keep them separate from the rose fertilizers (miracid and fish tank water), they should provide a beautiful backdrop for the roses as well. I can't wait to see the fence blooming later this summer!

So thank you - for being dangerous. :-)


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: This forum is kind of dangerous.

Hello, I just want to caution you...as you mentioned the MG and dogs...you do know they are posionous and the dogs shouldnt be near them ??

If I was you I would do some research on them before I planted them in an area where I was keeping my dogs...


 o
RE: previous thread and commentary ala children and pets

Here is a thread where I commented on the relative 'toxicity' of the commonly grown morning glory species...

Here is a link that might be useful: Potential 'toxicity' and realism...


 o
RE: This forum is kind of dangerous.

No worries - my dogs aren't "chewers", and haven't ever touched garden or houseplants. Most toxic plants are toxic in larger quantities anyways, and my dogs are large, so it would take a lot for them to actually be poisoned. Since they're never outside if I'm not there, I'm not too worried. I don't grow things like foxgloves or lily-of-the-vally, but these are vines that will be up on a fence, and the risk is minimal, IMO.

Thanks for your concern though, and I did read Ron's comments earlier as well. :-)


 o
RE: This forum is kind of dangerous.

Vines can be soooo addictive!!
I said this about 300 vine kinds ago!

Carol


 o
RE: This forum is kind of dangerous.

Show me a dog tht will eat a MG, and I'll show you a starving dog! :)


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here