Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Solanum jasminoides (white potato vine)

Posted by jenn SoCal-9/19 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 27, 08 at 13:03

I planted this vine yesterday against a south-facing wood fence with a lattice trellis for support. I planted it about 2-1/2 feet behind a new Salvia 'Indigo Spires'.

I know this vine is a fast grower and can get very large.

I'm wondering if it tends to grow outward and get very bushy, or if it grows more laterally along the support.

I don't want it to get bushy, and I don't want to have to trim it a lot to keep it from getting that way.

I'd appreciate any comments or advice on this.

Thanks,
Jen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Solanum jasminoides (white potato vine)

• Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 7, 11 at 21:16

LOL - no one knows? :-)

I planted it on a patio post and it climbed to the top.

o

I have a regular potato vine that I'm new to as well and it seems to be growing laterally up! I've had to train it to grow in any other direction.

o

I want to buy solanum jasminoides, I am in Ft Myers FL. Please help me.

o

Here is a website for the white potato vine

http://www.backyardgardener.com/plantname/pda_a9a4.html

o

I have a shite potato jasmine gowing along our wired chainlink fence and it does seem to grow bushy if it is not cut. Also mine also grows horizontally. Right next to it is our pink jasmine which Im having trouble growin horizontally. It wants to grow more vertically then anything. We have had it growing for at least 4 years. We like them for the privacy. Every once in a while we have to trim it with a hedger. But if we keep an eye on it and clip as needed it doesnt get out of hand and get too bushy. Our pink Jssmine is a very fragrant smell. Both were planted at the same time in a rocky soil. In our town. I have seen jasmine grow as high as a house.

o

Anyone have a pic? :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here