Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery vine has appeared

Posted by brooklynbonnie Bklyn 7b NYC (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 13:12

I was walking around my little yard today and just noticed this growing in a corner. It was not there when we moved in last July and I only ever noticed some volunteer morning glories in this corner now and then but they were pulled before flowering.

It seems suspiciously nice looking for a volunteer vine in this area, or more likely a weed. Any ideas what it could be? It's about 10 inches tall right now. I tried identifying online by leaves and it came up with honeysuckle but comparing photos does not convince me. Smooth edges on the leaves...

Thanks for any ideas!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery vine has appeared

Looks like a Clematis seedling. You won't be able to tell what sort of Clematis until it flowers.

o

Clematis was the first thing that came to mind for me too....

o

I thought clematis as well, but then I noticed it wrapped an "arm" tightly around a wire cage I placed over it. Very tightly, and I thought clematis don't wrap?

o

Absolutely clematis. They climb by wrapping their leaf petioles round anything they encounter.

o

Well I'll be very happy with another clematis! Hope it doesn't mind lack of climbing support for now. I'll have to try string from the wire cage to some wires a few feet above. Otherwise I really hope it will get bushy at the top of the three foot cage it has now. The most unfortunate thing is the location which will soon be in 80% shade (two to three hours of early morning sun through a chain link fence, then dappled shade for a few hours and then full shade from about 2pm on.

Thank you for your help!

o

That's why I don't like to pull mystery plants until I know what kind of plant they are or blooms they produce. It seems to have come back this year so the limited sun that it is getting seems to be enough to keep it going (whether you get lush blooms, we'll have to wait and see)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here