Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planted a cypress, grew a mystery! Help?

Posted by krickette 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 26, 11 at 14:02

My mom and I both had multicolor cypress vine growing last year, and I collected a ton of of seeds and froze them. I planted them this spring, and I now have vines, but...not what I was expecting. The leaves are no where near as whispy as cypress vine normally is, and it's growing much more aggressively than I remember (it's currently got a foot of growth above the lattice and it's headed towards my house, some is already laced in my shutters). Can anyone tell me what type of vine this is? Is it a weird mutation of a cypress? No blooms yet, the red flowers in the picture are petunia that my neighbor gave me, I had no room for them anywhere else so I threw them in when I planted my seeds.
picture 1
picture 2
picture 3
picture 4
picture 5

Any clue what this could be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planted a cypress, grew a mystery! Help?

Your leaves appear to be Ipomoea sloteri
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:%EC%9C%A0%ED%99%8D%EC%B4%88_%EC%9E%8E.JPG

I hope you post your photos - especially if they are any color other than Red.

Here is information from Ron who posted about Ipomoea sloteri on another site

This interesting species was first created by successfully hybridizing Ipomoea coccinea and Ipomoea quamoclit,thus creating the new species of Ipomoea x multifida which when it had become fully stabilized after several generations was given the updated binomial of Ipomoea sloteri =an allotetraploid derived from Ipomoea x multifida..
The new species shows a flower most like the I.coccinea,sepals most like Ipomoea quamoclit,but with a new leaf shape with divided foliage like the I.quamoclit,but with the overall heart shape(!) of the Ipomoea coccinea.

Here is information and photos of Cypress Vine Ipomoea quamoclit
http://www.missouriplants.com/Redalt/Ipomoea_quamoclit_page.html

o
RE: Planted a cypress, grew a mystery! Help?

May I ask WHY you FROZE your seeds???

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here