Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clueless_in_alabama

Trellis help needed

Hi all,

No one replied to my post about whether or not coral honeysuckle would be a good choice for the side of my house--but I got an answer from a local nursery that yes, it's a great choice. I'll be planting it in the fall so have some time to plan the trellis.

Last year we planted hyacinth bean all along this wall using eye hooks in the soffit, stakes in the ground, and fishing line in between. The nursery owner said I should do something more permanent for the honeysuckle. He said if we do something sturdy like wood poles for the vertical support, we could run wire horizontally.

So on our last trip to Lowes, we picked up one of those green poles they have with plant support materials. We got the tallest one which I'm guessing is 7-8 feet. It would be just right for the side of the house. But now here's the question: how to affix it securely to the side of the house without having to drill into the brick wall.

Since we've got eye hooks in the soffit and metal stakes in the grown already, I"m wondering if there would be some way to make a ring/sleeve around the top and bottom of each pole. There would have to be a loop in this sleeve so that we could run wire from it to the stakes and the eye hooks. Can you picture what I'm talking about?

Anyone have any ideas how I could make this ring/sleeve? Or do you have a better idea on how to secure the green poles? They're a little bit short from the ground to the soffit, so I don't want to bury them in the ground and make them even shorter. Would want a stake doing the work in the ground and attach the pole somehow.

I should mention that we live in a little subdivision with Home Owners rules, so I have to make it as attractive as possible--another reason for these green poles. If I do anything they consider ugly, I might be forced to take it all down.

Thanks!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz