Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need a vine suggestion

Posted by Hannzo24 none (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 12, 12 at 14:45

I have an unsightly pole in my front yard that I'd like to wrap in wire and grow a climbing vine up. It will get late day sunshine, the rest of the day in the shade. I'm a little lost as to what kind of vine to plant that would climb up the pole to make it attractive. Any of you have some suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need a vine suggestion

I don't know what zone you are, but Virginia creeper is really pretty in the fall. It turns a brilliant red, and doesn't mind the shade. Some ivy varieties have nice fall color as well. I don't think either of those plants would require a trellis, they'd climb a wood pole with no help.

o

It's a round metal pole BTW.

o

Hi, welcome to gardenweb.

You can find your zone here. Type your ZIP code in the box & hit enter. By including it in your profile info (and preferably your 2-letter state abbreviation) people will be able to give you specific advice. Not all plants grow well in all places, so zones and states are the way advice and plants are classified.

What kind of pole are you talking about, metal flag pole? Wood telephone/electric pole? Sign pole? Light post? What is currently going on in the ground where you want to put the vine? Are you looking for something that will be killed by winter or something that will grow back again in the spring?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here