Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catfishlee

Chain link fence

CatfishLee
11 years ago

Hi everybody. I'm new here, but I hope somebody can help me out. I'm in Des Moines, IA (zone 5a), and my wife and I are finally getting around to doing some work in our backyard. We have about 180 feet of chain link fence running around 3 sides of our back yard. I'd like a privacy fence instead, but that's definitely never going to happen because of the cost. We're hoping to be out of this house in the next 4-5 years.

Somebody suggested that I look into covering the fence with some sort of vine, but I don't even know where to start. First and foremost, I'd like something that would stay put on the fence and not creep into the yard. That's for my sake, as well as the neighbors. Second, I'd like something that's relatively low-maintenance. I don't mind any initial work, but I don't want to have to worry about it too much when it fills in. Third, I'm sure my wife would appreciate something that looks good/smells good/attracts butterflies/ or any combination of the three. And finally, we have a dog that runs around back there, and while he doesn't usually eat plants, I'd prefer something that wouldn't make him sick if he gets into it.

Does such a vine exist, or am I going to have to make some tradeoffs? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Oh, and the fence is usually in full or partial sun.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022