Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chain link fence

Posted by CatfishLee 5a (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 11, 12 at 14:55

Hi everybody. I'm new here, but I hope somebody can help me out. I'm in Des Moines, IA (zone 5a), and my wife and I are finally getting around to doing some work in our backyard. We have about 180 feet of chain link fence running around 3 sides of our back yard. I'd like a privacy fence instead, but that's definitely never going to happen because of the cost. We're hoping to be out of this house in the next 4-5 years.

Somebody suggested that I look into covering the fence with some sort of vine, but I don't even know where to start. First and foremost, I'd like something that would stay put on the fence and not creep into the yard. That's for my sake, as well as the neighbors. Second, I'd like something that's relatively low-maintenance. I don't mind any initial work, but I don't want to have to worry about it too much when it fills in. Third, I'm sure my wife would appreciate something that looks good/smells good/attracts butterflies/ or any combination of the three. And finally, we have a dog that runs around back there, and while he doesn't usually eat plants, I'd prefer something that wouldn't make him sick if he gets into it.

Does such a vine exist, or am I going to have to make some tradeoffs? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Oh, and the fence is usually in full or partial sun.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chain link fence

I'd consider honeysuckle - often fragrant, attracts both butterflies and hummingbirds and is stunning when in full bloom, which is often most of the summer. One needs to be aware of what type to plant, as some varieties are considered quite invasive but for the most part, vining honeysuckles are ideal for a chain link fence.

I'd look at European honeysuckle (aka woodbine), Lonicera periclymenum or trumpet honeysuckle, Lonicera sempervirens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here