Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
houston123_gw

Good climbing vine for houston

houston123
10 years ago

Hi,
we recently moved to Houston and bought a house. The house is on a small lot so the back window looks right at the garage door and walls. I wanted to plant a vine on the brick garage wall so it looks a bit nicer-a flowering vine would be nice in white or yellow. However most of the vines I've looked lose their leaves in winter....would you kindly give me some perennial vine suggestions that I could grow over the brick garage wall and not damage it? Also how realistic is to have a mix-a perennial vine with a flowering one? Thanks so much!

Comment (1)

• houstontexas123
    10 years ago

I have a Carolina Jasmine (yellow flowers) it does very well here in Houston. It is evergreen, and even with the freezes this winter it stayed green and bloomed profusely around March. I don't care much for its fragrance tho, its not stinky, but not particularly sweet. not sure how to describe it.

The Star Jasmines (white stars) do well too. I see some around town.

I also have a Lonicera 'Goldflame' honeysuckle. It grows at a moderate rate here. no fragrance tho. Its evergreen and the freeze didn't bother it either.

I also have a 'Mandarin' honeysuckle. Its slow growing, doesn't seem to like the heat too much.