Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help ID this vine please!

Posted by mangomoon CA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 2, 12 at 15:17

Does anyone know what this vine is called and if it is perennial or annual? In the several years I have lived here I have never seen this vine sprout until this year. I compared it to a jasmine plant a neighbor has because the vine/leaves are almost identical, but when side by side, it wasn't the same plant.

I just want to know in case it is a weed I can get rid of it!

BTW, it attaches itself to the fence with tendrils as you may be able to notice in the pic.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help ID this vine please!

It could be red trumpet Honeysuckle - mine has similar leaves. Do a google.com search and compare the leaves.

o

I am pretty sure it is one of the clematis. If you look at the pic posted you will see it does not have tendrils to hold it self to the fence but it instead uses its leaf stems to rap and hold with. This is how clematis climb. It may be one of the wild species or could be a seedling of a cultivar from someones yard near you. Many clematis seeds have a fuzzy feathered arm to its seed which allows it to be blown around or a bird may grab it for its nest. Hope this helps and there are several that have similar leaf type and structure to what you are showing.

o

None of my Honeysuckle vines use 'tendrils' to hold on to anything - they just twine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here