Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing vines on a privacy wall

Posted by kalliel Florida (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 15:39

Hello,
I'm entirely new to gardening. We currently have a hollow masonry privacy wall that we'd like to grow vines over(cascading from top to bottom). We would prefer the vines to give full coverage, not attract many insects, and easy to maintain. We live in South Florida, but the neighborhood is well shaded by oaks. (Picture attached)

We spoke to someone at Home Depot who recommended a few kinds of vines, and I'd really appreciate anyone's opinion on these for what we're looking for.
1. Gold Child Ivy
2.Bleeding Heart Vine
3.Hahn's Ivy
4. Can-Can (Calibrachoa)

Thank you for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing vines on a privacy wall

Firstly, you need to remember that for a vine to 'cascade from the top of a wall' it either has to start at the top of the wall (e.g. in a planter fixed to the top) or it first has to climb to the top and then stop trying to climb and just let itself fall down. Even if you can persuade it to do that it will fall back down over itself, shading itself and getting into a right old tangle. You really just need a vine that will just cover the wall from bottom to top.

Any vine will attract insects because it will provide shelter from heat, rain and predators.

A few vines stick to walls by themselves but most need supports and will then cling to them or will need to be tied to supports.

Gold Child Ivy and Hahn's Ivy will cling by themselves but will not cascade when they get to the top. They will wave about and grow bushy. Planting any Hedera helix in Florida seems like a wasted opportunity to me.

Clerodendrum thomsoniae, aka Bleeding Heart Vine, climbs by twining so it will need wires or trellis. It needs plenty of water at the roots.

Can can Calibrachoa isn't even a vine at all but an annual plant similar to a small flowered petunia.

I do not know your climate personally but I would strongly recommend that you do not use Home Depot for plant advice since so far they have given you very poor suggestions.

How about going over to the Florida Forum and asking there, or simple walking round the neighbourhood until you see something you like and then asking the owners what it is? Or visit some local parks and gardens for ideas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here