Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How destructive is Ivy?

Posted by goodbyekitty Zone 6 Wa/Sunset 3 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 8, 10 at 15:40

I am zone 6 sunset 3, i.e., very cold winters and very hot summers.

I have a south facing chimney that I would like to plant a climbing vine on. I was thinking a hardy ivy. The chimney is in good shape but I hear ivy can dig themselves into cracks. I'd make sure it didn't go beyond the chimney because our house is stucco.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How destructive is Ivy?

May I suggest you type your question into google.com and read what people have experienced with this monster - it isn't good!

o

There is a local floral shop here that has been growing an evergreen ivy on their wall for several years. It's about 12' by 10' area. It hasn't gone beyond that wall because it's maintained all the time and I imagine they use it quite a bit in their designs.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 12, 10 at 13:41

The types ivy that will cling by means of aerial rootlets will eventually scar and damage your chimney. Also, the common ivy often found to have once been used in that type of application, English ivy, has now been listed as a noxious weed by the Washington State Noxious Weed Control Board.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here