Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to set up support wires on a stucco surface?

Posted by newgen 9 California (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 28, 10 at 15:56

Hi,

The front walls of my house has stucco, I don't know how to prepare it for vines to climb. If I use some C-hook screws do I need to make a pilot hole first? The stucco seems to shed when I run my hand against it, so I'm not sure what's underneath it, seems pretty fragile. Is there mortar under the stucco? I've drilled into bricks, paver stone, wood, metal,.. but never stucco. Also, what type of wire should I use? Metal, plastic, nylon (fishing line)? And how should I hang the wires? In squares, or diagonals, which arrangement is best for vines?

Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to set up support wires on a stucco surface?

I would ask at a hardware store, or even contact someone familiar with stucco ( look for stucco repair or installation on the web or phone book).
You can construct a grid using the hooks and wire. I believe there is stainless steel wire available.

Here is another site: http://lifeonthebalcony.com/neat-idea-make-a-trellis-out-of-wire/

Here is a link that might be useful: one suggestion

o

For over 15 years Chief Corner Construction has been providing stucco, stone, and plastering service in NW region.
Our core values to provide exceptional work, honesty, quality, and competitive rates.
We specialize in new construction and remodeling of homes, commercial buildings, business, fireplaces, interior, and much more.
We have many projects and references to show of our quality work and art designs that we have worked on in past years.
By working with us, we pledge to offer top quality work on the market, and top notch service.
Please don't hesitate and contact us for free estimates and or questions on stucco, stone, brick and plastering.

Chief Corner Construction
Info@repairstucco.net
Visit www.repairstucco.net
503-998-6918

o

Stucco has 3 diffrent layers, if you secure anything to the stucco, it would have to be with a cement drill and anchor. If you wanted to ever remove it, then you would need to be sure to get the exact same color of stucco, which can be alittle hard its like matching bricks. You might just want to do what I do. I buy 10ft sections of bull wire, from a tractor supply store, it can be cut with strong wire cutters, to whatever lenght you want. I have 5 ft height. I put it in front of the stucco, and secure it with steel drive post into the ground. Its not going anywhere. Once the vines start to grow, its perfect. You would need to have a trailer to bring the wire home, it will not bend. I even use this in the middle of my yard, in flowerbeds, its great and no maintance. Barbra

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here