Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vines for ultra sunny wall

Posted by patiogarden200 CA (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 16:16

Hi,
A wall of my patio is bare, and I can not seem to grow anything on it. I think it may be because it gets too much sun, it has sun in the morning, and all through the afternoon.

I've tried several meyer lemon trees, creeping fig, and now a jasmine vine (the light pink one). Everything burns, even if I keep it watered. Ideally, I'd like something that can trellis or climb on it's own, is evergreen, and grows quickly. Oh, and can be grown in a container.

Any suggestions one what would work? I'm thinking the wall might be reflecting light and amplifying it (it's a light beige, and I can't paint it)I know the standard potato vine suggestion, but I'm not sure that is any more hardy than the jasmine? What about a climbing rose?

I'm in hardiness zone 8B
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vines for ultra sunny wall

i have a Carolina Jasmine (yellow flowers) growing on a south facing fence. it grows moderately in full sun in 96-100'F summers.

i have two native honeysuckles on the same fence, they grow somewhat slowly.

and i also have a Japanese honeysuckle which grows like a weed, even over the hot concrete driveway. it is an invasive species, but it'll thrive in very hot conditions, and the flowers are very fragrant/sweet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here