Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nurse_athene

Vine Killers

nurse_athene
16 years ago

I want to kill a hearty vine. I want to get rid of it and plant some shrubs and flowers in the same area.

Does anyone have an opinion about these vine killers:

Vine-X

http://www.vine-x.com/vfaq.html

Lilly Miller Brush, Blackberry, and Vine Killer

http://www.lillymiller.com/labels/2007/09606050.pdf

Thanks for any help! Athene

Comments (11)

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I tried Vine-X on a Campsis radicans (Trumpet vine) with poor results. Some of the vines were killed off but most of the established plants came back or didn't completely die back. It's supposed to remain effective for over a month after application and can't be washed off. I've never heard of the other one. I'd be interested in hearing how that one works.
    Karyn

• bullthistle
    16 years ago

This is stronger then Lilly Miller http://doitbest.com/Weed+control+and+insecticide_+fungicide+control-Green+Light-model-40004-doitbest-sku-704670.dib
    but Vinex is stronger then GL, but do you want to be brushing it on? I checked into once and figured I'd be brushing all day.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

• rogerhoppel7_msn_com
    12 years ago

I have use Vine X on Buckthorn. Cut the Buckthorn, an invasive, to the ground. Put the Vine X on the remaing stump. It does kill the invasive plant so it does not come back. If you cut the trunk so there is a couple of feet of stump above the ground it will grow back. Vine X does kill the buckthorn if done properly.

I've used it with other stumps and there is never any more growth. Great pruduct.

• kayjones
    12 years ago

Use 'Brush-B-gone', Brush Master or Hi-Yield Kill-zall - all of these three are excellent. They work by the leaves carrying the chemicals to the roots and killing the whole plant.

• soapynurse
    12 years ago

I have a large square flower bed that has been overtaken by vinca vine. I don't know how to get rid of it and I'm hesitant to use the chemicals because there are hundreds of daffodils in the bed also. Also encroaching on the bed is the neighbors pawpaw tree and some other weed that has grown up in one corner. Help me please.

Alice

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

What kind of vine are you trying to kill? Where is it?

• soapynurse
    12 years ago

I'm trying to rid a flower bed of vinca vine that also contains hundreds of daffodils. Any suggestions?

Alice

• ferretlady48124_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I had a bottle of Vine-x years ago & loved it. I successfully killed a very small tree, well established grape vine & other stuff I don't know the names of. To kill the larger things, I cut off near the ground & made cuts into the remaining stump & applied Vine-x liberally. Don't have the stuff anymore & wish I could find it again in SE Michigan. It was expensive but I loved it.

• Ament
    12 years ago

I had a virginia creeper over running the whole side of my deck, under it too. I took nippers to it, yanked off as much as I possibly could. Then took Round-up and applied it directly onto the stump of the vine. Nothing of it has returned so far. You might want to mix up a fairly strong batch of Round-up and take a paintbrush and brush it onto the offending plants you wish to be rid of.

Just be sure not to get it on anything else, only the plant you want to get rid of. Also, do it when it's below 90 outside and not going to rain any time that day. So the chemical doesn't go onto anything else in the area.

• karyn1
    12 years ago

I think what Ament suggested is your best bet because of the proximity of the desirable plants to the vinca. Unfortunately that means a lot of tedious work because you'll have to brush every vinca stem with the herbicide. I'd cut the vines back leaving only about 2" of stem and then brush the cut ends. You can also use a syringe with a small gauge needle and inject the stems with the herbicide but that's even more work.

• Ament
    12 years ago

It's worked for me so far. The monster creeper hasn't returned. Who ever planted it here for whatever ignorant reason planted this particular monster right next to a support pillar for the deck. I'll never understand why that was done. Right beside a concrete pad, alongside the 4x4 pillar holding up the deck on that corner. :( Now I have this horrendous root/stumpy thing there. I don't have the grrr to prune the stump part away. So I just have to leave that part. But so far, it doesn't appear to be returning.

I took it down and slathered it in June, also did this same treatment to over grown Lilacs that were nothing but major headaches because the prior owners planted them butted up against a fence right beside a retaining wall. Of all places... a retaining wall! Ugh! So far, no suckers returning on those either. ;)

A bit of effort to do the job, but well worth it in my book.

~Tina