Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vine Identification - Poisonious?

Posted by newbie42 TN (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 15, 12 at 17:31

Hello to all of you wise gardeners,

I'm a newbie to the gardening world and I have a vine growing on my back fence that I'm not sure how to identify. We're trying to turn this into a toddler friendly yard and I want to make sure this isn't poisonous. Can someone please help me?

Thank you very much for your time!

-J

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vine Identification - Poisonious?

It's virginia creeper. Here's a fact sheet about it:

http://plants.usda.gov/plantguide/pdf/pg_paqu2.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: All about virginia creeper

o

The vine on the fence is NOT Virginia Creeper....the plant still on the ground is, though. The vine growing on the fence has three leaflets, but doesn't appear to be poison ivy.

Newbie, post your picture in the 'Name That Plant' forum for a quick ID.

o

I think it looks like poison ivy on the fence. Kudzu would be another possibility although those leaves are usually more rounded.

Here is a link that might be useful: kudzu leaf

o

The vine with the 3 leaves growing on the fence is (and issuing from the same basal plant directly under the fence) :

Toxicodendron radicans commonly known as Poison Ivy

I have it growing on my property and the town I live in is covered in it..

The leaves do not always show the indentations and anybody who claims otherwise simply doesn't have enough experience with the varied forms that Poison Ivy can show , even on the same exact vine.

I went into this on the ID Forum on the other site which cannot be mentioned on here...

The 5 leaved vine on the ground is :

Parthenocissus quinquefolia - commonly known as Virginia creeper which can also show different leaf formations on the same exact vine.
I also went in this on the ID forum of the other site which cannot be mentioned on here.

I am extremely allergic to Poison Ivy ( as in I can get it without even touching the plant ) and I know that plant no matter what form it takes, I am not allergic to Virginia creeper and can handle it frequently with no bad reaction at all.

Hope that helps...

regards,

Ron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here