Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
vines to trail down

Posted by lainey2 7a (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 23, 13 at 17:48

I have a gorgeous stone wall, 10 feet tall, facing west, with soil at the top. I'm looking for vines to tail down, something like euonymous but without the scale. I have one Carolina Jassamine. We live in SW Virginia. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: vines to trail down

• Posted by gerris2 Zone 7a Delaware (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 17:22

I went to school at VA Tech, you're in a wonderful part of the country. I am not sure what would work for you. Have you read up on wisteria? Its flowers trail nicely. Is kudzu still a bad actor in Virginia?

o

I went to VA Tech, too! wisteria is invasive and kudzu will eat up your house, your children and run off with your husband.

o

• Posted by gerris2 Zone 7a Delaware (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 21:26

Good luck!

o

It might be worth checking into 'Halequin' honeysuckle. It's a weak climber - I need to tie mine to the chainlink fence or weave the stems through the mesh. I've always thought that the perfect spot for it would be to trail down from somewhere rather than to expect it to climb! It wouldn't overwhelm your other vine either. The foliage is variegated so it's pretty even when it's not in bloom. It is deciduous though so is bare in winter. It's listed as zones 4-9 but I have no idea how it would do on a west-facing wall in your zone. Presumably a local nursery/good garden center could tell you. This is what it looks like for me:
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

o

That is a lovely picture, woodyoak. I'll let you know if it works if I can find one. Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here