Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phylrae

Picture this & tell me if it might work for MGs

phylrae
15 years ago

I searched this forum with the words "chicken wire" but wasn't sure if the results really addressed what I needed.

I just planted Sunrise Serenade (deep pink double) MG seeds (a few in two 10 inch planters). They are starting to come up a little.

I wanted to also put in a seed or two of white Moonflower that I just purchased & have soaking. Maybe I could have the dark pink double MG blooming during the day, then the moonflower take over in the late afternoon (once they get to the point of flowering).

I envisioned maybe having my husband cut me a long rectangular piece of chicken wire that I could insert into the pot (or somehow double it up to make it stronger), or have it rest against a bamboo pole? Would these flowers climb up it? I had tried to picture what Fran was talking about (using wire hangers) but I just can't picture what she's describing! :0( Hence, the idea of chicken wire (vertical AND horizontal wire for them to climb on) popped into my mind!

Do MG and moonflower tendrils HAVE to have BOTH vertical AND horizontal wire/string/fishing line or whatever to climb up/attach to, or can they just be on long vertical strings/wires? I had hoped to put the pots at the base of my front porch and let them climb as high as they could, or at least 5 feet or so to the top of the porch railing. Then, would I keep them trimmed back, or could they be trained to grow sideways along the railing?

Also, would I only allow one of each flower grow in each pot, so they didn't get all mangled together? I can't envision how bushy MGs and moonflowers grow in a pot.

Thanks!

Phyl

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?