Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
English Ivy and cat?

Posted by syrinth 5a (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 10, 09 at 18:00

Ok I made a post yesterday, or so I thought, but it seems to have vanished. Here's another try.

I want to get some English Ivy to put in my bedroom by my south facing window. I'd be putting it on a ledge where the cat couldn't get to because lack of space for him and he's also never even attempted to get up to that window ledge. I'm planning on having the vine climb around the window*on a trellis since I'd like to be able to move the vine if I have to*

Should I be particularly concerned about my cat getting to the vine and/or eating it? He's never shown any real propensity for eating vegetation in the past.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: English Ivy and cat?

Ivy is toxic to pets, but if your cat doesn't bother with your other plants, and if he doesn't get into something because it's "new"(like my cats do), then you can probably get away with it. I have lots of houseplants, but I removed almost all of the ones that were deemed toxic when we got a kitten. I did, however, keep some Heart-leaf Philodendron(also toxic), which I keep in small pots on a shelf above my kitchen sink. The cats just don't go there. There are other plants they have access to, if only to knock them over when they're bored. I also grow wheat grass for them. I have other vines in wall pockets that are not harmful...Hoya, Tradescantia/Wandering Jew(which they like to bite pieces off of and bat them around the floor), and Swedish Ivy. But I love my little Philos, so I keep them trimmed and out of reach. HTH

Here is a link that might be useful: ASPCA

o

Yeah, I knew it was toxic already.

Are there any non-toxic climbers that come to mind? I think the cat wouldn't be dumb enough to try to get to the ivy, and I can certainly arrange for it to not be near him. Just a bit concerned that this is an accident waiting to happen.

o

Two that are on the ASPCA non-toxic list are Swedish Ivy and Grape Ivy. Hoya(Wax Plant)is safe and gets long, but is very slow growing(on the plus side, it will eventually reward you with flowers). I have a Swedish Ivy, but it doesn't travel very far in my rather dark apartment. I read that Grape Ivy gets pretty long and might suit your needs/wants. You might also ask in the Houseplant Forum for more suggestions. If you check the ASPSA's list, you will see that some plants are on both the toxic and non-toxic lists, as some plants are toxic to some animals and not to others.

Here is a link that might be useful: non-toxic plants

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here