Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
which vine to use???

Posted by tinkster z6KY (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 6, 10 at 18:20

I am in zone 6 and redoing the front of my home. I have a white brick. I would like to put two vines, one on each side of a long porch climbing up the brick but I dont want something that is gonna eat the house or ruin my brick just something for some visual height and summer color. I have some autumn clematis but they are babies so I dont know how invasion/big they would get?? I also have several smaller climbing hydrangaes that could still be moved. The area is mostly sun, and hot because of the surrounding concrete. Any suggestions muchly appreciated :)

tink

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: which vine to use???

If it's mostly sunny, moving the climbing hydrangeas there isn't a good idea. Personally, I'd go with something with color rather than the white sweet autumn clematis against the white brick. Can you provide a structure for the vine to climb? How about climbing roses? I think they look gorgeous against brick. There are lots of options there in a range of colors. Trumpet honeysuckle(lonicera sempervirens, not the invasive Japanese honeysuckle) is another choice in a different range of colors (red, orange, yellow).

o
RE: which vine to use???

Hi all. I am sure you've been asked this a million times but here I go. I live in the California Desert and I want to put a climbing vine on my fence line. We pretty much have sun all the time. It gets to be around 99 to 103 in the summer and 35 in the winter. I have read several of your post. I want something that grows fast doesn't have flowers because of bees and the dogs. I have nosey dogs. :)
Can not be a poisen plant. What can I use. Thank you

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here