Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! My snail vines are dying!

Posted by tuxedokitty none (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 18:48

I recently germinated and planted six vigna caracalla seeds, and they all did well for a few weeks.Then one of the seedlings' leaves began to yellow slowly, and after a few days it curled up dead and now the other seedlings are beginning to go the same way.

I have noticed a hard crumbly white substance forming on the top of the soil and on some of the leaves, as well as some little tiny bugs flying around my plants. I am growing thunbergia alata in containers next to the vigna caracalla, with the same white stuff and little bugs, but they seem to be very, very happy.

All the plants are were started from seed and are currently inside in front of a large window. They are watered every few days, most often with straight water but every now and again with a light miracle-gro mix or with an epsom-salt mix.

is the white stuff a mold or fungus that might be killing my snail vines, or is it the little bugs, or is it something else entirely?

I really want them to live, but I don't know what to do. Any thoughts or suggestions would be very much appreciated! Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! My snail vines are dying!

• Posted by babera 5a (Montana) (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 29, 14 at 23:39

I am no pro, but I would guess the yellowing leaves is due to fertilizer. I use that and dropping leaves as a sign of over watering /fertilizing. . . The white stuff may be a residue from the Epsom salt. . . ? I would just hold off on both fertilizer and Epson salt until they are bigger or planted out. . . good luck

o
RE: Help! My snail vines are dying!

I suspect you have/had fungus gnats and are over-watering. The white stuff could certainly be mold. Try planting out seeds in pure vermiculite. You will no longer have either problem when watering your seeds and seedlings. Let the plants get
root out the bottoms of those starter pots before transfering them to another soil mixture.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here