Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please suggest an annual climber for an arbor...

Posted by coatfetish z6 VA. (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 20, 13 at 20:13

I posted this in the Annual forum because I didn't see this vine forum - so I'm giving it a try here, too!

Hi ~
I'm starting to make a new veggie garden bed, and at one end will be a metal arbor/arch I bought last year but never set up. Sorry I don't know how tall it is, but I'm guessing 9 or 10 feet. It's 7 feet wide (not that that matters for the climber - lol) and has a front-to-back depth of about a foot. I don't want a perennial like clematis, I was hoping to find an annual that won't over power it and that I can remove each fall as part of my fall clean-up. I have wild honeysuckle in the back yard that wants to take over the world! So sweet smelling, but such a nuisance - so I don't want trumpet flower, honeysuckle, etc, hence the hunt for an annual.

What do you think of morning glory? I've never tried to grow it, and none of my friends have either so I've never actually seen one. Would one on each side get tall enough to reach the top of the arch?

Any thoughts and ideas would be welcomed!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please suggest an annual climber for an arbor...

Morning glories should cover your arbor. The thing with morning glories is that they will flower better in poor soil. Don't fertilize them much. I have grown them in the past, but I'm no expert on them. The morning glory I have seen that is the most floriferous, seems to be the heavenly blue. There may be others out there that flower just as profusely, but that is the one I always see around town that is just covered with blossoms. I am growing those this year to cover a chain link fence. Along with a few others.

o

• Posted by gerris2 Zone 7a Delaware (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 9:53

”Poor soil” means don't go crazy with nitrogen fertilizers. The other nutrients are still very much needed by commonly grown morning glory species.

o

Thank you! I have ordered Morning Glory seeds from an online auction and the seller has been very helpful in messaging me info. I mix my own soil blend and it includes certified organic compost, so I don't add liquid or granular fertilizers through the season. I guess if I get a lot of leaf growth and fewer blooms I might find out my mix is off - lol.

Thank you for your help : )

o

• Posted by gerris2 Zone 7a Delaware (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 14:30

I will be following in your footsteps in adding my own compost and worm poop tea to the containers. Be sure to post photos of your vines' flowers and leaves in the forum!

o

I will post pics! I'm very excited about my two choices (Blue Eclipse and Ukigumo) and I'm getting very helpful detailed instructions to aid my potential success - lol

Fingers crossed that I will have nice pics to share : )

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here