Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
trumpet vine

Posted by nesting12 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 5, 09 at 20:27

I am so sorry in advance about what is probably a massively over-discussed issue, but when I click on past threads on this gardenweb tells me it can't find the messages.

So, here goes: In my TX backyard I have about a bazillion little and big trumpet vines. I honestly never noticed them before because the backyard was a mess of (other) invasive stuff, like hackberries and nandina. I took all of that junk out and will probably take most of the trumpet vine, too, but for now I just wonder: is there a reason why none of it is blooming? If I am going to have it, I would like to have flowers!

Is there any reason why it might not be flowering? Is it just too early? (I know that seems like a weird question to those of you who live in places with normal weather, but here we are finishing up our spring and getting ready to head into major summer-- so it is less likely for early April to be early here than most other places).

thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: trumpet vine

If you are talking about Campsis radicans (orange trumpt vine) it can take several years to bloom and needs full sun. It's an extremely invasive vine but it is very pretty when in bloom. Good luck trying to get rid of it if you decide you don't want it. It's next to impossible to eradicate.

o
RE: trumpet vine

Yes. I agree with karyn.
Trumpet vine has to mature and climb then bloom.
It will not bloom while young and on the ground.
When it climbs, tries to get a point where it can see a lot of sunshine. The seeds usually grow in deep shaded wood.
That is why in order to have a chance in life, the have to find something to cling on and climb, to see the sun, bloom, seed snd guarantee the survival of their specie.
That is the whole purpose of blooming and fruiting in the plant kingdom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here