Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blutarski_gw

covering a telephone pole?

blutarski
16 years ago

Hi, I'm looking for a flowering vine that will cover a telephone pole. I've seen similar things where I live (southern PA) and I like the look.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments (10)

• chazparas
    16 years ago

blutarski,
    there are quite a few vines that will cover a telephone pole but please consider the workers who have to climb and work on the poles. Wasps are a major issue for those people. Some wasps love to nest in vines and become extremely aggressive when there nesting site is disturbed.

• blutarski
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Duly noted, chazparas. Can you give me some of the species that are available?

• chazparas
    16 years ago

depends on where you are? I've seen virginia creeper, boston ivy, and the dreaded trumpet vine all growing beautifully up telephone poles. Even a climbing hydrangea will do fine. Some poles are treated with insecticide, fire-retardant, or even herbicides. Be careful if they seem to be oily around the base, could be any of the above.

• blutarski
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here's what I saw in my local nursery:

Wisteria-Japanese and Chinese
    Clematis- I'm not sure which types
    Honeysuckle

I tried to as an employee, but she brushed me off with "they'll all do well, they're over there."

Will any readily take to something the size of a telephone pole? How would I train it to do that?

(sorry for all the questions.)

• mersiepoo
    16 years ago

You could try an annual like cardinal climber, it's supposed to be very fast growing, I'm going to grow it by our mailbox this year, so I'll see what happens! :)

• jock.stender
    10 years ago

Nobody answered the question, "How does one train a vine up a telephone pole?"

I would appreciate an answer to that.

I'm considering passiflora incarnata or p. lutea (passionflowers).

Without some sort of wire mesh, I cannot imagine them climbing telephone poles.

Chain link fences, yes, telephone poles, no.

• Dzitmoidonc
    10 years ago

Telephone poles are supposed to be kept clear. The owners can come and kill the vine any time they want. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on it.

However, if it is a pole that you own, either Campsis radicans or Parthenocissus will do the job in about 3 years. I had a naturally planted Parthenocissus climb a guide wire of the pole, then the pole itself, then start across the road. The power/telephone co. took note and killed it. Campsis climbs with the aid of roots that develop at the nodes (the "radicans" part of the name come from the word for root), it also does not need help, but will climb faster if aided.

• shamanman
    7 years ago

I have the same problem. I planted ivy-didn't work. I think I did trumpet vine but it need something more to grab onto. Finally i did wisteria which has sort of worked but only barely-it does like the wires though! Telephone poles are treated with creosote which I think leeches into the soil below as well. Whoever suggested clematis knows little as clematis is very sensitive-won't even climb up pressure treated wood. Some years I've planted morning glories and attached strings in a circle around the pole-this worked well but need to be planted every year. I would like other suggestions too.

• mersiepoo
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

ToGrdner, glad you didn't end up like the one squirrel I found outside my boyfriends house one morning, it must have been climbing on the old wiring outside his house (the insulation had rotted away and would spark during windy days/nights) and it friend the poor little bugger.

If anyone would want to plant something on a pole, it would be best to use something that doesn't climb so high, maybe morning glories or some other annual.

Maybe try Cobea (cup and saucer vine)...not sure where you live in what zone. A few suggestions....hmm, well you could try schizandra vine (perennial), or maybe one of those decorative kiwi vines, though they would need support.