Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is Crimson Trumpet Vine truly red?

Posted by stage_rat 5--Indiana Riviera (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 22, 09 at 23:13

The one called "Flamenco" or "Crimson" is supposed to be a deep red with orange center. The photos I've seen on the internet show flowers that look just as orange as the regular Campsis radicans, or some photos with very, very blue-looking foliage have true-red flowers. (I think they were doctored)

I really want a vigorous, true-red perennial vine, and was hoping this could be it. Does anyone here grow this, and can you help me with some information?

Also, if anyone has another suitable vine in mind, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is Crimson Trumpet Vine truly red?

My trumpet honeysuckle is not fire-engine red, but it's about as red as I've seen. It has the yellow center. The site below, last picture, is what mine looks like.

Here is a link that might be useful: Red trumpet Honeysuckle

o

Thanks, I think I will get a Lonicera vine instead. I've been reading that the Trumpet vines can take several years to bloom--I could spend either a lot of time, or a lot of up-front money trying to find a really red trumpet vine.

o

If you are speaking of Bignonia, the trumpetvine, 'Minnesota Red' is very close to true red.
Even that might not match the red of Lychnis calcedonica,the Maltese Cross, or Lobelia cardinalis.
I use scientific names because their use assures that we are, more likely, talking about exactly the same plant.

o

Excuse me. Talking about accuracy in names. The common trumpet vine and it's varieties have been called Campsis radicans for many years.
I have seen some L. sempervirens that are scarlet red.

o

Bog, I have L. sempervirens.

o

I think L. sempervirens will be the one I get, it is the true native, and I want the hummingbirds to be as happy as possible. "Blanche Sandman" looks pretty red to me. Kayjones, do you know if yours is a particular cultivar?

o

No, I don't know the cultivar - it's been growing many years in this yard, probably planted by the previous owner, who was a Master Gardener and grew many, MANY plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here