Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anitje

Climbing hydrangea as a privacy screen

anitje
11 years ago

Advice please.

I have a long, shaded border along the east margin of my property between my yard and the neighbor's with a row of mixed trees (mostly scraggly evergreens, a heptacodium, and a few others). The trees are approximately 3 feet apart. I want to block out the neighbor's messy yard.

I was thinking of planting a climbing hydrangea midway between each pair of trees and trying to train the vines to fill in the space between the trees, especially at lower heights (up to 6-8 feet high or so- above that filling in the open space is not so critical ), in order to block my view across.

Can I just plant them midway between the trees with the little trellises that come with the potted plants at the nursery, and try to train them to fill in the space by directing the shoots along branches when they finally get high enough to reach branches? Or do I have to buy special trellises for the hydrangeas?

And if I need to buy separate trellises, what do I need to buy? I have heard that the plants are very heavy and need considerable support. I have a lot of bamboo, and thought of nailing it crosswise to the trees, but I also read that hydrangeas will not typically cling to something narrow and smooth like bamboo.

If I can get away with using the existing trees for support and can train them to fill in the spaces in between without additional trellising that would be ideal. That may be a pipe dream.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Comments (2)