Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neptune25

Moonflower seeds from the dark side of the moon

neptune25
12 years ago

On April 22, I ordered some moonflower seeds from the following Web site:

Buymoonflowers.com

According to the site, the seeds supposedly ship the same day. What a joke! Early last week, I e-mailed them (there's no phone number listed) and asked when they sent my seeds, because I hadn't received them. Never got a response. So, after a few days, I decided to dispute the charge with AMEX. Well, yesterday I got a packet in the mail. It was postmarked May 4. Anyway, the seeds included are not typical moonflower seeds. All the moonflowers seeds I've ever ordered have been whitish, rather large, and hard. These look completely different. They almost remind me of red lentils (without the red color). Are they legit? If so, are there just different kinds of moonflowers? Here are a couple of pix (you can click on them twice to enlarge them).

Moonflower seeds

Thanks for any info.

Comments (13)

• karyn1
    12 years ago

It appears that you have datura seeds which are also called Moonflowers and/or Devil's Trumpets. They are more of a bush, not a vine. You want Ipomoea alba.

• dragonsmist
    12 years ago

yep daturas for sure. related to the brugmansia family.

• neptune25
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the helpful replies, karyn1 and dragonsmist. On the Web site I mentioned, it claims that these are Ipomoea alba. OK, I will continue my AMEX dispute then.

Thanks again.

• msbatt
    12 years ago

Well, they call them 'Ipomoea alba', but the pics are clearly Datura, probably either inoxia or wrightii. For $3.99, I'd have send you about a hundred! (*grin*)

• neptune25
    Original Author
    12 years ago

msbatt wrote:

Well, they call them 'Ipomoea alba', but the pics are clearly Datura, probably either inoxia or wrightii. For $3.99, I'd have send you about a hundred! (*grin*)

:) Actually, it looks like they did send me quite a few seeds. In terms of visual appeal compared to that of moonflowers, is Datura worth growing? I haven't had much luck with moonflowers, so I was just wondering. Maybe I'm better off with Datura.

It's kind of funny--I called AMEX and told them that I did get some seeds, but they were the wrong kind. They had already closed the dispute and issued me a credit. They didn't seem that concerned about it. They basically said not to worry about it. :)

• karyn1
    12 years ago

There's several varieties of datura. Some are weedy like D. stramonium (jimsonweed) and others are quite beautiful and have a nice fragrance. Unfortunately I can't tell by looking at the seeds what kind you have as many look alike. I'd definitely grow some of the seeds and see what variety you end up with.

• neptune25
    Original Author
    12 years ago

karyn wrote:

I'd definitely grow some of the seeds and see what variety you end up with.

OK, I'll try that. :)

• emmagrace2
    12 years ago

For years I have noticed confusion between Ipomoea alba and Datura 'Devil's Trumpet'. Ipomoea alba, should be referred to as Moon Vine and not Moonflower. Most still call Datura 'Moonflower' because the blooms open in late afternoon, but I have always called it Datura to avoid confusion.

Unbelievable that company is selling Daturas as Ipomoea alba.

• neptune25
    Original Author
    12 years ago

emmagrace2 wrote:

Unbelievable that company is selling Daturas as Ipomoea alba.

As unprofessional as that outfit seems, I think calling it a "company" would be using the term loosely. LOL.

• msbatt
    12 years ago

Neptune, the datura in the pic is well worth growing. They're root-hardy in some parts of my garden here in Tennessee, and get bigger and better every year.

You should be able to get Ipomoea alba seeds at your local Wal-Mart, about a dozen seeds for $2 or less. And they're one of the world's easiest seeds to germinate, I think. I soak mine in hand-hot water overnight, then plant only the seeds that have swollen and cracked. I soak the un-swollen ones another night, and yet a third night if any are left. Anything that's not cracked by then I throw out.

I start mine indoors in peat pots, but not until the weather's warm.(Moon vine just doesn't do much until it gets HOT.)I put the peat pots in a warm, bright spot out of direct sun. I usually get 90% or better germination, and within 3-4 days. I do them in peat pots because I plant them with this year's morning glory selection, and having the MGs in peat pots helps me tell them from last year's re-seedings.

• neptune25
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Neptune, the datura in the pic is well worth growing. They're root-hardy in some parts of my garden here in Tennessee, and get bigger and better every year.

OK, thanks, msbatt.

You should be able to get Ipomoea alba seeds at your local Wal-Mart, about a dozen seeds for $2 or less.

Oh, I didn't realize that Wal-Mart carries them. I've been ordering them online. Thanks for the info.

And they're one of the world's easiest seeds to germinate, I think. I soak mine in hand-hot water overnight, then plant only the seeds that have swollen and cracked. I soak the un-swollen ones another night, and yet a third night if any are left. Anything that's not cracked by then I throw out.

That's an interesting technique. Actually, I haven't really had much problem getting them to germinate. Here's the way I've been doing it lately. Like you, I soak the seeds. However, I do it in regular-temperature water for only 8 hours. Then I rinse, drain, and let them sit out for another 8 hours. Basically, I rinse and drain every 8 hours until they start sprouting. Right now, I have some on the counter with sprouts about 1/2 inch long. I'll probably plant those tonight.

My problems have been a) transplanting moonflowers already in soil and b) getting them to bloom. I have never successfully transplanted one, so I've decided not to try it again. Last year, I did have quite a few to come up, and then they developed into nice vines, but just never flowered. I'm not quite sure why.

Moon vine just doesn't do much until it gets HOT.)

It does seem to enjoy the heat. Have you ever had your moonflowers not bloom?

• msbatt
    12 years ago

Transplanting Ipomoeas is hard, because of their long but fragile taproots. Another reason I often start them in peat pots. (*grin*)

Some years my moon vines don't start to flower until frost is almost upon us, and it's a rare year indeed when they start early enough for me to gather good seeds. (Although I have had success with picked the green pods, along with a bit of stem, and letting them ripen indoors.)

Moon VINE is the common name of Ipomoea alba, while moonFLOWER generally refers to Datura. Yet another reason I hate common names---SO much confusion. (*grin*)

If you're in an area where the moonFLOWER seeds you got will perennialize, they start flowering quite early once established. My local library has one that's 4-5 years old now, and it was in bloom by the first of May!

• karyn1
    12 years ago

I. alba from seed (even started early with protection) doesn't begin flowering until Aug. here and very few seed pods ripen, if any. I have wintered it over in the greenhouse and inside under HID lights but it grows out of control and constantly needs to be cut back. It does flower early the following season but to me it's not worth keeping over the winter.