Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can anyone identify this vine?

Posted by thewoefulbudgie CA zone 9 (My Page) on
Tue, May 18, 10 at 0:14

It grows like crazy in the thin strip of dirt along my garage. The foliage seems almost succulent, and when I dug it up last fall, I found a complex network of...well, I guess they'd be rhizomes? I dug up as much as I could find, but not surprisingly, I missed a few, and they're sending up new shoots.

Now, I've got nothing in particular against this vine. It's lush and green and seems to thrive on neglect...and hey, I like that in a plant. But I've also got a toddler who's into exploring things by tasting them, so I try to keep toxic plants out of my garden as much as possible (ask me about my continuing battle against black nightshade). Identifying it would help me to decide whether I should keep trying to dig it up, or buy it a trellis and make it feel welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of vine and roots

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can anyone identify this vine?

I'm afraid your going to have to wait til it gets a little bigger so that identification is possible.
If you really don't know what it is, and your afraid of your little child eating the vine, dig it all out now.
When it comes to your child, it's better to be safe than sorry.
If you really want another vine there, go to a local nursery and ask for a nonpoisonous vine and plant it.
I wouldn't leave the safety of my child up to people on the internet.

o
RE: Can anyone identify this vine?

You'll probably have better luck getting an answer if you post this on the "Name That Plant" forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: name that plant

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here