Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beaumontia grandiflora won't flower

Posted by msbatt 7 (My Page) on
Mon, May 30, 11 at 0:32

I got this plant in trade several years ago, and It has had some hard knocks. One winter the door to the greenhouse blew open and it froze back to the soil line, another winter it lost all its leaves, etc. But finally, last winter I found a place where it was HAPPY, and it's putting on new growth like crazy---but I've NEVER seen this flower. Now that it's growing good, what should I do to encourage flowers? How much sun does it need, and how heavy a feeder is it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beaumontia grandiflora won't flower

I've never had any luck with this plant but I did see quite a few growing in Puerto Rico last month. It must be a popular landscape plant over there. There were several huge vines in full bloom, all growing in full sun. I couldn't tell you anything else, sorry. Good luck.

o
RE: Beaumontia grandiflora won't flower

I have a friend who owns a nursery, that has/had one - it's currently on display in a butterfly atrium. Her vine is MASSIVE ie it's in a 50 gallon container and of course, blooms every summer.

I got cuttings from her and asked how long before it would bloom - she said hers was a woody and huge vine before it finally bloomed, so I'd say (according to her description) it has to have a large caliper before it will bloom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here