Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbieberry

Actinidia Arguata Issai - Self Pollinating Kiwi

gardenbug
12 years ago

Zone 8b-Fraser Valley, BC

I purchased this vine last week to grow up my large trellis. Can someone please tell me if this vine is annual or perennial? Any other tips for growing would be helpful.ie; the tag says: Prune to shape, how do you shape it?

Thank you.

Comments (5)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

Cadence, this is a large vine when mature (may take several years), hardy to approximately -15F.

"Pruning- Actinidia arguta Issai may not need much pruning in its first year or two. Cut only to guide the plant to the form you want it to take. Always cut just above a bud to avoid leaving a long section of dead stem, which will attract disease. In future years prune and direct stems during the winter or early spring while the leaves are off so that you can see the structure of the plant. Remember that the plant will branch at the point of the cut, so prune low for a fuller appearance or remove all but two or three stems to train long over an arch or arbor. Always remove diseased or dead stems as you see them, whatever the season."

Google 'Actinidia Arguta Issai' (no A following the U), images, for a better idea how this may eventually fit your trellis

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for your help with my Kiwi and I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner. I printed out your instructions to help guide me. Good. I need a large vine on this fence for privacy.

I do have a question? I noticed the leaves on the vine are turning sort of a silvery white. I phoned the nursery where I purchased it and the guy told me not to worry about it as it's normal. Do you agree? Other than that, the plant is growing nicely and has several berry type flowers on it. I checked Google and found some Kiwi's that have reddish pink leaves. I would love your thoughts on this. Thank you.

• chills71
    12 years ago

The kiwis with the reddish-pink leaves are the fuzzy ones, not the argunta varieties.

You're likely warm enough to grow those as well, but they are more vigorous plants.

~Chills

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    12 years ago

chills...thank you.
    I definitely have Actinidia Arguata Issai but many of the leaves have turned a silvery white color and I am just wondering why it would do this? Shouldn't the leaves be a dark green on this variety?

• ergick_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

I have had my kiwi foe about 7 years and evry year it gets loaded with blossoms. As the bloosom starts to fade the stem of the blossom turns black and it falls off. It has never produced a single fruit. Can any body tell me why? i

Sponsored
Ronald J. Smith Interiors, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Veteran Interior Designer Serving Clients in Upper Marlboro