Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dreamsalive_gw

pruning wisteria - help please!

dreamsalive
14 years ago

I, like many here, have had terrible luck getting my wisteria vines to bloom for the past 9 years, since they were planted. This past winter, we did a MAJOR pruning, and cut back the vines to pretty much the main 3 to 5 branches. They are now starting to grow some green shoots, with leaves & no blooms again (of course, boohoo). In years past, these wisteria plants (I believe there were 3 planted altogether along our front yard fence) grow OUT OF CONTROL with long, long, long green shoots all summer. How am I supposed to prune, when and how much, where, etc... thank you for being SPECIFIC... I'm clueless on gardening terminology and am a rookie here.

In years' past, our gardeners have just taken the hedgers to it and sheered them off b/c the leaves and shoots are so crazy... I know, this is clearly no way to prune and it created a disaster to prune when I just did it this past winter. I will not allow the gardeners to touch the hedgers near my wisteria again. But I need to know how to handle these crazy shoots & leaves when they start going whacko.

Thanks again for your advice!