Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terrene_gw

What to expect from Vine seedlings??

terrene
15 years ago

Hi all, I am growing 5 types of native perennial vines from seed this year. I am planning to grow the vines up dead trees, live trees, and trellises made out of cut natural wood.

The vine I've sowed are:

Aristolochia tomentosa - Dutchman's Pipevine

Campsis radicans - Trumpet vine

Clematis virginiana - Virgin's Bower

Cynanchum laeve - Milkweed vine

Passiflora incarnata - Maypops

Trumpet vine, Virgin's bower, and milkweed vine are all sprouted and up. The Aristolochia is sprouting, I can see green shoots but not the seed leaves yet. No sign of life in Passiflora yet.

What kind of growth can I expect in the first year from any or all of these vines? Should I pot up some into temporary pots for this year, or plant straight into the ground? Any other tips appreciated. TIA for your help.

PS I already know Campsis radicans is an aggressive vine - I'm not planning to grow it in a natural area far away from gardens, lawns, and structures! :)

Comment (1)

• newskye
    15 years ago

Clematis can take a looong time to germinate... even a year is not unusual, so be patient if you don't see sprouts for a while and don't throw out the pot.

I've got a baby passiflora seedling going right now... I find I don't get great germination from them: out of 6 seeds sown in this batch, only one came up.

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery