Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weeds in my Periwinkle!!

Posted by naughtywildcat 7Maryland (My Page) on
Wed, May 28, 08 at 10:17

I have some nice beds of periwinkle in my front yard, however, there are lots of weeds growing in it now, and I wanted to find out what the easiest way to remove them is. I am rather afraid that is going to be by hand only, but I wanted to ask incase there might be something that I am missing. Even if the method involves working with the ground pre-weed season, that would be fine too. I just need some tactics. I would love to fertilize the periwinkle to help it grow really thick, but I am not going to waste the fertilizer on weeds.

Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weeds in my Periwinkle!!

I am assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that this is a patch of newly installed groundcover? If so, I strongly recommend a pre-emergent herbicide like Preen, for the first two years until the periwinkle fills in. There is a like organic product - I think it is called Concern - which is mostly corn gluten. But, it is too late this season. Pre-emergents need to be applied early, when the forsythia blooms. And, they don't do anything to stop perennial weeds that have established roots. They just stop seeds from germinating. I am affraid you will have to hand pull this Spring's crop of weeds.

This labor intensive project diminishes when the groundcover advances. So do what you can to speed that process (watering, pruning, fertilizing with a slow acting organic, stapling down those longer shoots). You are using mulch in any bald spots around your periwinkle aren't you? If not, run out and buy some this weekend. It should help keep new weeds from sprouting by blocking out the light. Never let those weeds go to seed or there will be more than ever next year. Good luck! Did someone give you the mistaken impression that groundcovers are low maintenance? Nothing is easier to maintain than a lawn even if your lawn is a golf course.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here