Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

New Trellis Needs A Vine

moonwolf_gw
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

My grandfather made me this neat trellis/planter and I'm trying to decide what kind of vine to put in it. It can be an annual or perennial. For an annual, I'm leaning towards morning glories or moonflowers (Ipomoea) and for perennial I'm wondering if a honeysuckle would work? I'm thinking one of the periclymenums (Brushwood Nursery). It's going in between a purple clematis and purple irises. I would like a contrasting color

The trellis is a little over two feet wide and three feet high and the box is five and a half inches deep and a little over two feet wide as well. Here's a picture of it.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (17)

• karyn1
    13 years ago

How cute. I'd like someone to build those for me. What about an annual thunbergia. Black Eyed Susan vine is the most common but there's others like Blushing Suzie or African Sunset that I think are much nicer.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Karyn,

Thanks for the complement! Black Eyed Susan vine was one of my original choices. I've never grown it but it looks neat. A local place is selling it in seed flats with six per flat. I was also thinking that maybe a mandivella would look nice in it too. I've never grown it either. I'm still wide open to options!
    Brad AKA Moonwolf

• littleonefb
    13 years ago

I"d go with a mandeval for that beautiful planter.

Especially with the wood color, assuming you are not going to stain it but rather leave it with the natural wood, mandivela will be stunning in it.

The leaves are a dark, bright green that are sturdy and hold their shape and the pink flowers are a beautiful contrast on the green leaves.

Both the leaves and the flowers will be a stunning contrast with the wood.

I've grew on several years ago, pot as small plant and had it in a 12 inch pot that trailed up the railing on the front stairs.
    In the fall, before frost, I cut it way back and brought it in for the winter. Somehow it survived, usually plants I bring in for the winter don't adjust well to by dry hot air heat.

The following spring, when it started to show signs of new growth, I repotted it in a smaller pot and put it outside and it flowered well all summer into the fall.

But it didn't survive a second winter.

You might want to dig it out and pot it up for the winter and see how it does.

Fran

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Fran,

No, I'm not going to stain it but I did put wood oil on the dowel rods (the rest is made of treated wood). If I can't find a mandevilla, can a honeysuckle grow in this?
    I checked Wal-Mart today and they didn't have any mandevillas. I would plant a honeysuckle hardy to at least zone 3 or 4 (I think the rule is for a container the plant has to be hardy a zone or two lower than what you're in).
    Sorry to confuse you, but what I meant was a contrasting color to the purple clematis and irises.

I'm out of space for anymore plants indoors anyways! I'd prefer a perennial but if I don't find anything I still might plant morning glories and/or moonflowers in it.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• karyn1
    13 years ago

I don't think I'd use a honeysuckle in that. The honeysuckles get so big, even the non-invasive varieties. I'm not even sure there would be room for the roots. Root space is fairly limited. That's why I was leaning more towards the annuals.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay, an annual vine it is then! So far, here are my choices.

Mandevilla
    Morning glory
    Moonflower
    Cup and Saucer vine

Karyn, I know we're both hoya nuts, so I'm gonna see if my pap can make me a smaller one for a hoya!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• sandyl
    13 years ago

Nice trellis. Just what I need, another project. I think I would make mine with maybe 4x4x8 treated post and for the cross rails I will probably use rebar. Yep, I can see it now. Thanks for the idea. My clematis will love it. Sandy

• littleonefb
    13 years ago

Brad,

Do you want to be able to see flowers on the vine during the day or evening?

moonflower blooms at night or early evening, so all you would see during the day is the vine.

I'm partial to the mandevilla vine personally. You might find a small one to start with at a local nursery, if you are having no luck finding one at Walmart.

Once the temps really warm up, the mandevilla will grow quickly.

Morning glory would look nice though, but I'd want one with some really large flowers and a bit different than the every day variety.

Something like flying saucer or heavenly blue.

Fran

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sandy, good luck with your project! When you finish it, please post pictures of it.

Fran, I've grown morning glories and moonflowers before and the combination is great! I could plant a couple seeds of each in the trellis if I don't find a mandevilla. I read mandevillas open their flowers during the day and fold up at night like morning glories.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've made my decision! I'm going to plant morning glories and moonflowers in the planter. It'll get at least 6-8 hours sun each day and I already planted the morning glories. The moonflowers I'm starting in a paper towel and a plastic baggie until they sprout (I'm trying to get earlier blooms). I'll take pictures when they start growing.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• littleonefb
    13 years ago

Brad,

I like that idea alot, better than just the mandevilla. you get blooms during the day and blooms at night.

Just remember to keep it in an area that can you have the scent of the moonflower vine come in the house.

What kind of MG did you sow?

Fran

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Fran, I planted the Burpee's Best Mix morning glory seeds I got from Wal-Mart. They're pink, purple, white and bi-colored. I have the trellis setting by a swing so I'll be able to smell the moonflowers when they bloom. I usually don't get flowers until fall when I direct sow, so that's why I started them indoors.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• littleonefb
    13 years ago

Sounds beautiful, Brad. Perfect location too.

I've gotten flowers as early as mid August and as late as Sept. But once they start blooming it goes and goes till the frost gets them.

The only disappointment with them is I never have time to get seeds from them. They bloom to late and the frost is too early. But they are easy enough to purchase a packet of seeds and start them every year.

Fran

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Fran, thanks!

I'm in the same boat as you with the moonflowers. I've always grown them with morning glories before on the eastern facing back steps. Now, both types will get sun from about 1:00 p.m. until sunset. Some of the moonflower seeds I started a few days ago already sprouted and I planted them today. I've got a moonflower growing in a pot that I started a few months ago. It's still small but it's growing a little faster now.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here are the morning glories and moonflowers growing in the planter. If it looks too crowded, I'll thin them out.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• amyta
    13 years ago

Please post another picture when your vines bloom. I'd like to try this combo in the future myself.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Amyta, I'll be sure to post a picture when they bloom. I can't wait until they do!

Brad AKA Moonwolf