Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (26)

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You have a nice specimen of Ipomoea pubescens 'Tenshi Botan'. Nice photo too!

• kayjones
    10 years ago

That looks like no morninglory I've ever seen. Where did you get it?

10 years ago

Don't tease, hahaha, show us more photos of the flowers from this plant please?

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by gerris2 Zone 7a Delaware (My Page) on Sun, May 5, 13 at 21:56

Ok, here are more pictures of this very doubled strain -

{{gwi:291332}}

10 years ago

It is breathtakingly beautiful. My vine makes double flowers but not to the extent your vine does, it's awesome!

Here is a photo of mine, taken just yesterday.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by gerris2 Zone 7a Delaware (My Page) on Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 11:49

Hmm? I wonder if they are the same cultivar?

10 years ago

My more recent flowers are becoming more full, but nowhere like the strain you have, my fellow MG grower.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by gerris2 Zone 7a Delaware (My Page) on Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 14:45,

Based on the pictures of your plant, I guess yours will never have a flower like mine ... hmm.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by gerris2 Zone 7a Delaware (My Page) on Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 14:45

I have similar experience.

I bought a bag of Sun Ray tuberous begonias this spring. It has 3 large bulbs looking the same. Now, they are blooming, only one is the true Sun Ray. The other two has the same colored blooms but the flowers are NOT fully doubled at all. I am not sure if they are also called Sun Ray.

The only one true Sun Ray appears to be more demanding when it comes to water and fertilizer. It is the only one with burnt leaves. The other two grow like weeds. The Sun Ray color is so beautiful: it is like powdered yellow on deep red base. Oh my goodness. But I only have one, out of three I bought.

The lesson is, you might have to toss yours. I think it will not change to the better.

10 years ago

I don't think I'll toss this little angel I have. It is a permanent part of my garden. If ever you would like to trade roots of your plant for roots of my plant, let me know. It is fun to collect these unusual flower forms and grow them.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by gerris2 Zone 7a Delaware (My Page) on Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 10:13

Mine today and some other flowers:

10 years ago

My goodness, you have some beauties in your garden. Is the last one kiku?

• ron_convolvulaceae
    10 years ago

jujujojo - Could you please click onto my name / homepage and then click onto send me a message as I am interested to communicate with you via private message.

I see that you are relatively new...you might want to adjust your personal settings to allow members to send you a private message.

Your Calystegia is nice and I hope to hear from you...

regards,

Ron

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

Both vines have lovely flowers! Didn't know double morning glories existed.

Gerris, the last photo (white edged magenta on my monitor) looks like a ranunculus.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by ron_convolvulaceae 6a/5b (My Page) on Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 19:16

I am fascinated to learn someone specialize in that, how do you make a living?

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by iris_gal z9 CA (My Page) on Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 19:20

Gerris is correct, that is a mum or chrysanthemum.

10 years ago

My vines seem to be slowing down in making flowers. Here are a couple from this morning.

• ron_convolvulaceae
    10 years ago

juju - You mentioned :

"I am fascinated to learn someone specialize in that, how do you make a living? "

Well, if you clicked onto my homepage
    http://www.gardenweb.com/auth/nph-logincheck.cgi?action=public_profile&user=/ron_convolvulaceae
    and actually read what I posted about myself ,

I have been growing various Morning Glories for most of my born days as that is something that has always interested me as a totally non-pecuniary interest as I have NEVER sold any Morning Glory (or plant ) related materials....
    I don't make a living off of plants , never did , never will , but people still devote their non-working time to whatever they may choose and are able to...sound reasonable enough and directly to the point you inquired about ?

I used to own part of the family fencing business and be very active in vintage guitars and amplifiers , but I am currently retired.

I chose my web-name because I didn't want to use a 'fake-hide-my-real-nature/ hide-my-true-identity' type of thing , so I decided to simply use my real 1st name followed by my area of interest.

Specializing in 1 plant group isn't *that* uncommon among those who are very devoted...

There are laptop computers and people often take their laptops with them wherever they go to enable them to post whenever from wherever...

Specializing takes less time than non-specialization, because as you specialize , you tend to locate sources of reliable information that tend to be more concentrated because of the close relationship between the plants.

So ,it is actually much easier to locate accurate information if you specialize than relying on the non-specialized info that is much more scattered (in more ways than one) all over the place but is quite often incorrect due to the non-specialization by people who ( may post / share in good faith , but still ) lack the accuracy that is concommitant with a higher degree of focus.

Does that answer your somewhat personal non-plant related question(s) (?)
    re:"I am fascinated to learn someone specialize in that, how do you make a living?"

--------------------------------------

"The lesson is, you might have to toss yours. I think it will not change to the better."

Now , why would a reasonable person discard their beloved plants , just because you have what may be deemed to be an interesting version (?)...unless you were willing to share some of the living material and not just post photos...

There are 'people' who periodically come here and impersonate "real people" and those of us who have been very well integrated into the gardening community for a long time must be on our guard.

One of the things the impersonators do is , show photos of material that they will never (!) actually share...and if that is the case , you might have been better posting in the
    photo gallery to simply showcase whatever you might have.
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/vines/nph-ind.cgi?type=gal

The real people gardeners share (their enjoyment of plants by sharing starting material e.g., seeds / rhizomes et al ) amongst each other and don't play anything resembling the , 'nah , nah , mine is better than yours , and you can't have any' type of thing ,because 'if' that is the 'game' , we really do all have plenty of other viable sources to followup on for lot's of beauties whether any of us actually acquire any of what you showcased or not...

sincerely,

Ron

This post was edited by ron_convolvulaceae on Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 21:07

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by ron_convolvulaceae 6a/5b (My Page) on Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 20:03

We are here because we love plants. Thanks for your posts of non-plant subjects though =)

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are more of these today. Sorry, they look more purple in pictures because the pictures were taken in bright sun light:

• Susan249PA
    10 years ago

Hello,
    This is my first post...first time here, so please forgive me if there is some protocol I should have followed prior to posting. I'm especially interested in vines since I have a long bare fence that would look softer and beautiful covered in vines.

That brings me to why I'm posting to this thread. I've never seen MG's that look anything close to those pictured! Am I misunderstanding....are they really MG's? The leaves don't look the same either. I have tried MG's but so far, no flowers. My neighbor has the same variety....in fact mine is a cutting of hers! Neither of us have blooms and I'm guessing we have fertilized and watered too much as mentioned further up the thread.

But this plant....may I ask the owner what makes her certain that it is a MG and not a mislabeled plant or seeds?

I look forward to getting to know some of you better and hopefully you will get to know me a bit too.
    Thanks,
    Susan

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by Susan249PA 6b (My Page) on Mon, Aug 5, 13 at 22:23

They are truly MG. I guess you can ask for some tubers from gerris2 Zone 7a Delaware :)

• Susan249PA
    10 years ago

Thanks, juju!

gerris2, I'm in 6B and would LOVE a bit of your lovely vine!

Thanks,
    Susan

• Susan249PA
    10 years ago

Wait. I'm confused here. It looks like you are posting that these are your plants, Juju. I think Gerris2 had some similar, though. Gerris, yours are lovely too.
    Regards,
    Susan

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by Susan249PA 6b (My Page) on Tue, Aug 6, 13 at 21:20

Susan, no, I do not sell anything. I am just appreciating them.

• sorie6 zone 6b
    10 years ago

Can we purchase seeds? Please tell us where. Your plants are beautiful!! thanks