Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vine ID Help - Sweet Potato?

Posted by laylaa (My Page) on
Sun, May 25, 08 at 11:38

Can anyone help me id this vine? The closest I can come up with is Sweet Potato Vine (Ipomoea batatas, somewhat bur different!)except that it's not quite a match. The photos are of immature leaves and the color ends up to be similar to a kiwi. It is tuberous, vigorous as all get out, grows fast and Japaneses beetles adore it. Seems to prefer shade and it does not appear to be woody.

But, unlike a sweet potato it is quite hardy and survived 7b freezes in a small pot so pot bound there was barely any dirt in it. Previous homeowners had planted it in a pot underground which I dug up - it was everywhere. It also did much better in the fall when the weather cooled. Then it really took off. It was a monster of a plant like something out of Steven King. Just grew and grew...It laughs at weed killer and loves to be run over by a lawn mower. This year I put it in a big pot hoping to keep it in control. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vine ID Help - Sweet Potato?

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Sun, May 25, 08 at 16:30

I'm wondering if it is variegated porcelain berry vine.
See the link below.
Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: variegated porcelain berry vine photo

o
RE: Vine ID Help - Sweet Potato?

Thank you Remy! That is exactly what it is without a doubt. I could not find anything like it and appreciate the help. I looked up porcelain berry vine and mine has more pink in the leaves and I had no berries, but it seems they don't all berry. The berries are pretty but apparently make the plant invasive via birds, so I'd rather not have them. The thing is amazingly lush and vigorous. It's become a household joke, The Evil Vine. We keep our Great Dane away from it in case The Vine is hungry. It's an interesting plant even if it is flashy, I'm glad I have info on how to take care of it now - in a big pot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here