Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bossjim1

Bleeding Heart Vine

bossjim1
16 years ago

I posted this over on the 'Gardening in Texas' forum, but thought that you might enjoy it also. This vine was very lush last year with only a few blooms. This year in eary March, I pruned it real hard.

Jim

{{gwi:1334740}}

{{gwi:1334739}}

Comments (13)

• lilion
    16 years ago

Oh that is SO pretty! I bet it isn't hardy to my zone though, is it?

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

alys, probably not. It is only hardy to 30 deg., although this one saw 28 deg. this winter.
    Jim

• chazparas
    16 years ago

I'm green with envy! Clerodendrom T. is one of my favorite flowering vines, I've only seen them as house plants never in a garden on a trellis, gorgeous!!

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

chazparas, it seems to be real happy. Last year it completely covered the trellis, which is 8'X15' high, but only bloomed sporadically. I think the hard pruning brought it to life.
    Jim

• lilion
    16 years ago

Yes Jim, that's a BIG no! We get under zero here sometimes. Heck, we hit 20 just a couple weeks ago, although that was a fluke. I'm jealous! It's really lovely!

• karyn1
    16 years ago

That's beautiful! I have 2 C. thomsoniae's, a solid and a variegated but I have to keep them in containers. I'd love to be able to leave them in the ground and allow them to grow on a fence like that. Yours is the prettiest one I've ever seen.
    Karyn

• geener25
    16 years ago

Can you please tell me the basic care for this vine? This thread has helped to identify a vine of mine. The leaves and flower shape look similar. However, does it come in red/purple too? Thanks

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It does come in a red & lavender form. If you will read all the comments listed on the attached link, you should find some good information on care for the Bleeding Heart vine as a potted plant. Also if you'll check the photos, there are several pictures of the form you describe. Hope this helps.
    Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Bleeding Heart vine

• karyn1
    16 years ago

The purple/red variety is called Clerodendron x speciosa and is a cross between the thomsoniae and the splendens. I have mine in full sun and allow it to dry between waterings. I usually feed it once a month. For some reason that one grows much bigger than either of my thomsoniae's. I love all the clerodendrons. There are so many varieties and some look absolutely nothing alike. My favorite is the C. ugandense
    Karyn

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Karyn, I have several clerodendrums and think my favorite is the Musical Notes.
    Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Musical Notes

• adg1127
    15 years ago

I have a bleeding hear planted in the ground. We had a very cold winter for zone 8...no trees for protection.I did cover it with a blanket though. My heart looks dead and all the "vines" are dead. What are my chances of it coming back from the roots? This is a very sentimental plant to me, it was my mothers...HELP!

• TnShadyLady
    15 years ago

Clerodendrum Thomsoniae is listed as hardy to zones 9-12. If you had a cold winter (even with a blanket), it's probably not likely to make it. :(

• MaryAnn1950
    9 years ago

Anyone here???