Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Virginia Creeper: Dangerous to Our House?

Posted by leafy02 6 Central Kentucky (My Page) on
Wed, May 5, 10 at 12:33

I like the look of Virginia creeper so I dug some up from the woods at my mom's house and planted it here at my house. One vine is growing up the side of the garage, the other up the back of the house, obscuring the hideous utility meters.

The vines are thriving, but someone said they might be bad for the brick or for the gutters. I don't want to damage my house, much as I like the vines.

Does anyone know for sure whether VC is harmful, and if so, is it just to gutters or to both gutters and brick? I have another location I can use it in where gutters won't be involved, but if it'll damage the brick itself, it'll have to go.

Verdict?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Virginia Creeper: Dangerous to Our House?

If you do a search you'll find lots of conflicting info. Some say it is damaging to brick & mortar, others say not. Figures. lol It seems that the VC tendrils produce an adhesive disc that cements it to a surface but does not grow into it.

o

My understanding is that it won't hurt your house, or at least not the bricks, but I wouldn't let it get into the gutters.

Lucky you, I want it more upfront, I have it growing in my wooded area, but my husband, the cronic hypercondriac and city boy, swears that it is one of the poison vines. I've been wanting to get it going on one of my fence lines and he keeps trying to kill it. Luckly it's not easy to kill, but because of his efforts, I can't get a good full fence line of it. And to think, people actually buy the stuff and he's trying to kill it.

o

(I confess to trying to kill it, too, but in south Georgia, it grows like the jungle!)

You might consider that it does make the brick hold moisture, especially in the shade. If you think it may become a moisture problem, keep it in check, in bounds, & thin. We could not do that here, for sure!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here