Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lzrddr

Bougainvillea species

lzrddr
13 years ago

Any Bougainvillea experts out there? I am trying to figure out what, if any, the differences are between Bougainvillea glabra, spectabilis and peruviana are. What, if any, are the most common ones seen in cultivation or are all those hybrids (I suppose of glabra and peruviana)? I get conflicting information everywhere I read and am beginning to wonder if nobody knows much about Bougainvillea species at all.

Comments (2)

• gamekeeper
    13 years ago

If you call Arrowhead Alpine Nursery and speak with Bob the owner he will tell you the exact differences.He is available in the evening as days he is busy running his nursery,a wonderful knowledgable person.I bought several vines from him this year.He has no time for email ,his phone is 517-223-3581

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    13 years ago

I'm no expert, but I live in Southern California, and those vines crave heat and sunshine. They will NOT bloom well in the shade. They also have killer thorns (like 1" long), and they need pruning often. There are the climbers, and the bush type.

I have about 8 of them in my yard, and I've always had them in the past in other yards. They are gorgeous! Beautiful color! But they are aggressive, and the thorns make it hard to prune them.

I think you should call that number gamekeeper provided. I just walked out and checked, and the bush type have no thorns, at least the species I have in my yard.

I know this is zero help, but it's the best I can do.