Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthz_gw

Do you pre-soak JMG seeds??

ruthz
13 years ago

One of my packets says pre-soaking is not recommended for Japanese Morning glory seeds.

Normally I pre-soak all morning glory seeds.

Comments (5)

• karyn1
    13 years ago

I wonder why? I've always soaked all my MG seeds, Japanese varieties as well, and haven't had any problems. Maybe Ron or someone has an answer.

• ron_convolvulaceae
    13 years ago

The seeds directly from Japan that are primaxed (i.e., The Primax process is not a 'coating'...just the opposite...it's a patented process that uses a combination of acids and abrasion to make the seedcoat more permeable without drying the embryo out...Sakata owns the patent...but many other companies use the Primax process) and as such these seeds are pre-pared so soaking isn't 'required'.

There are benefits and sometimes some disadvantages to pre-soaking the seeds...

Generally pre-soaking the seeds will help the seeds to start the germination process but some seeds may burst apart from being soaked too long and what exactly too long is dependent on the state of the seeds...

Seeds which are very fresh (and still relatively moist) will often require only a brief soaking for about 20 minutes or just watered in the germination medium to get them actively sprouting...while older seeds which have harder shells will often benefit from nicking the seeds carefully and soaking in warm water for 12 to 24 hours to facilitate imbibation...

So, generally soaking in warm shallow water for about 8 to 12 hours will be more helpful than detrimental...and watch the seeds as once they have swelled enough there is no further benefit to leaving them in the water as they may possibly burst or drown...seed germination is somewhat analogous to a curing or brewing process and there is an optimum rate for the chemical processes involved to occur to yield the most favorable results...although there will always be some exceptions to the general rules of thumb...

I personally prefer fresh rain water to faucet or other forms of stored water...

Seeds which are very old or dried and therefore likely in a deeper state of dormancy may require a slower start by application of smaller measured amounts of water at repeated intervals over a period of time to encourage dormant seeds to wake up...sometimes trying to get very old seeds to wake up too quickly can be detrimental to the ultimate viability of the seeds...

Hope that helps...

TTY,...

Ron

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed germination JL Hudson's excellent reference page

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Thanks Ron. I figured that you would have the answer. I've had the occasional MG seed "explode" while soaking.

• ruthz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, Thank You.
    I will pre-soak if they aren't in the foil packs from Japan.

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

Good information to know.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County