Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stimpy926

Here's what to do with a Crossvine

stimpy926
14 years ago

Our south facing, hot deck. We used an umbrella for the table until now...5 years later, the vine has filled the top of the trellis.

before...May '04

Comments (14)

• stimpy926
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Forgot the name! Bignonia capreolata 'Dragon Lady'

• kayjones
    14 years ago

OMG, that's GORGEOUS!

• jerryngeorgia31557
    14 years ago

I love it and would love to have some cuttings or seed. Willing to pay for postage or trade for something I have.

• naturenut
    14 years ago

omg!!!! that is gorgeous!!!! my mother in law has dragon lady and tangerine beauty. i am looking for the really bright red atrosanguinea.

• ghoghunter
    14 years ago

That is drop dead gorgeous. You give me hope for my Tangerine Beauty and we planted the Dragon Lady on an arbor at our Nature Center. So in 5 years I hope ours looks like yours!

• marymd7
    14 years ago

Lovely. Bignonia is such an under-used vine.

• june_2007
    14 years ago

Where can I buy it? It's beautiful!

• Mary Leek
    14 years ago

I recently purchased one of these Crossvines,"Dragon Lady" (gal container) at Home Depot for seven dollars so you might want to check your big box stores for availability.

It had several vines of about 24-30 inches and has been planted a week. It already has put out several new 6 inch shoots! I expected it would take a while for it to settle in before it began showing any growth. Currently, the days here are running high 90's to 100 yesterday with high humidity and the planting spot gets about six hours of mid day sun. I amended the soil with oak leaf mold/compost and then top-dressed the root ball with leaf mold to try and keep the roots cooler in this heat.

My thanks to the original poster who provided the lovely photos of this vine.

Mary

• tpj207
    13 years ago

Does anybody have any seeds/plants for Bignonia capreolata 'Dragon Lady' crossvine? Am willing to purchase or trade with seeds of Dolichos lablab 'purple hyacinth bean vine'. Cannot seem to locate the 'Dragon Lady' crossvine anywhere. Everybody is SOLD OUT!! Need 4 plants or about 12 seeds. If anybody knows a mailorder source that has this in stock....please let me know!!

• stimpy926
    Original Author
    12 years ago

tpj207 - I don't recall ever seeing seeds on mine....and if it did set seed, I don't know if they'd be true or reversions to the straight species. I'd be happy to send you cuttings if you want to try rooting them. I've heard it takes 'Dragon Lady a while to set roots though.

• tepelus
    12 years ago

I've been looking for 'Dragon Lady' too and can't find it, sold out. Such a beautiful vine.

Karen

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    12 years ago

very pretty, and so cool it is winter hardy below zone 7!

• danasplants
    12 years ago

Theres a Jekyll too i have some of those seeds germingating now. I agree these are awesome vines!

• karyn1
    12 years ago

That's beautiful. I wish my Crossvine was growing in a place where a similar structure would look good. BTW I've never seen any seed pods on my vine.