Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Here's what to do with a Crossvine

Posted by paula_in_pa z6 SEPA ChesCo (My Page) on
Tue, May 26, 09 at 14:30

Our south facing, hot deck. We used an umbrella for the table until now...5 years later, the vine has filled the top of the trellis.

before...May '04

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Here's what to do with a Crossvine

Forgot the name! Bignonia capreolata 'Dragon Lady'

o

OMG, that's GORGEOUS!

o

I love it and would love to have some cuttings or seed. Willing to pay for postage or trade for something I have.

o

omg!!!! that is gorgeous!!!! my mother in law has dragon lady and tangerine beauty. i am looking for the really bright red atrosanguinea.

o

That is drop dead gorgeous. You give me hope for my Tangerine Beauty and we planted the Dragon Lady on an arbor at our Nature Center. So in 5 years I hope ours looks like yours!

o

Lovely. Bignonia is such an under-used vine.

o

Where can I buy it? It's beautiful!

o

I recently purchased one of these Crossvines,"Dragon Lady" (gal container) at Home Depot for seven dollars so you might want to check your big box stores for availability.

It had several vines of about 24-30 inches and has been planted a week. It already has put out several new 6 inch shoots! I expected it would take a while for it to settle in before it began showing any growth. Currently, the days here are running high 90's to 100 yesterday with high humidity and the planting spot gets about six hours of mid day sun. I amended the soil with oak leaf mold/compost and then top-dressed the root ball with leaf mold to try and keep the roots cooler in this heat.

My thanks to the original poster who provided the lovely photos of this vine.

Mary

o
Wanted....Bignonia capreolata 'Dragon Lady'

Does anybody have any seeds/plants for Bignonia capreolata 'Dragon Lady' crossvine? Am willing to purchase or trade with seeds of Dolichos lablab 'purple hyacinth bean vine'. Cannot seem to locate the 'Dragon Lady' crossvine anywhere. Everybody is SOLD OUT!! Need 4 plants or about 12 seeds. If anybody knows a mailorder source that has this in stock....please let me know!!

o

tpj207 - I don't recall ever seeing seeds on mine....and if it did set seed, I don't know if they'd be true or reversions to the straight species. I'd be happy to send you cuttings if you want to try rooting them. I've heard it takes 'Dragon Lady a while to set roots though.

o

I've been looking for 'Dragon Lady' too and can't find it, sold out. Such a beautiful vine.

Karen

o

• Posted by gerris2 Zone 7a Delaware (My Page) on
    Tue, May 3, 11 at 9:37

very pretty, and so cool it is winter hardy below zone 7!

o

Theres a Jekyll too i have some of those seeds germingating now. I agree these are awesome vines!

o

That's beautiful. I wish my Crossvine was growing in a place where a similar structure would look good. BTW I've never seen any seed pods on my vine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here