Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agirlsgirl

Can anybody help me ID this MG?

agirlsgirl
15 years ago

Hi! I was wondering if anyone can tell from these pics which MG this is. I started 36 different types and marked them all. Well,when I pinched them back I stuck the pieces in water and in a pot of Angels Fishing Wand I started under lights. Of course while sticking them in ,I never thought first to mark which they were,second that they would actually root and keep right on going. So if anyone can help me out I would very much appreciate it! :)

~Angie

Comments (8)

• karyn1
    15 years ago

I'm no MG expert but that looks a lot like my Murasakihigezaki. I'm not positive if that's the correct spelling.
    Karyn

• brandyray
    15 years ago

Whatever it is, it's a beauty! Brandy

• ron_convolvulaceae
    15 years ago

agirlsgirl/Angie - Here are some links to the listings in the PlantFiles

Blue Split Personality - rich Blue usually split single petals
    http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/69647/

Blue Double Petal / Double Blue hige - double petaled with some splintering especially near the base of the petals
    http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/162982/

Feathered Purple - usually double purple petaled
    http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/72362/

The doubles may often start out as single and progress to double as the season progresses and plant continues to develop...the double gene can also skip a generation...

Me thinks there is some name duplication and overlap of features, (e.g., I would prefer to see the terms feathered and hige reserved for petals that display appreciable / variable splitting of the main petal structure(s) otherwise there would be no difference from a simple double or triple) but I cannot get the entries fixed without significantly 'ruffling some feathers'...

I would say that at this point based upon the structural features that are showing that it most closely resembles the Feathered Purple...

Hope that helps...

TTY,...

Ron

Here is a link that might be useful: Feathered Purple in the PlantFiles

• karyn1
    15 years ago

Ron your Blue Double Petal/Double Blue Hige is gorgeous.
    Karyn

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

A Ha! Thanks Ron! The Feathered Purple has got to be it,I did start some of them and that sure does look like it! Thanks a bunch,you were very helpful.I also had another one bloom from my cuttings that looked similar in petal structure but was a lighter color,almost blue. I am just so amazed by the intensity of the color,and I am really loving the split petals.
    I also have a mutant Kawaru,that has just got it's first buds,I will be sure to post pics of it here once it blooms,I am pretty excited about that one. It's leaves look like swords,here is a pic:

It has grown since and looks pretty healthy to me,although all of my MG's were not too happy with the transition to out doors. I took all the right steps, but yet they are giving me a hard time...lol...I am hoping they all make it,but I am sure a couple of them are just not liking the big cruel world! Anyway,I will be sure to post when my Mutant blooms,maybe it will be cool like Karyn's! :)
    Thanks again for all your help,I am going to pot that baby up and mark it! :)

• luvsgrtdanes
    15 years ago

Hi Angie, I think that could be from one of Split Blue or Indigo seeds I sent you. It's a beauty!!!
    {{gwi:1340063}}

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You know what? You could be right,it would have to be the Split Blue,because I dont have any Indigo. The Split Blue is doing great,one of my strongest! I have loved it from the beginning! :) Regardless it is a pretty one ,than again aren't they all?....lol...over the last day or two ,all of my MG's are taking a turn for the better...whew! I was sure the outdoors was doing them in! I don't know what your weather has been like in your part of PA,but ours has been just rotten! Starting tomorrow we are supposed to get the good stuff,so we will see!:) The Sweet Peas are thriving and will be going in the ground over the weekend,it is going to be odd seeing them outside their cups! :D

• luvsgrtdanes
    15 years ago

Angie the weather here is just as bad!! Looking forward to this weekend too....All my MG starts are still inside for another week. So much to do so little time! Glad to hear yours are doing well. I am looking forward to lots of pictures!!!

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living