Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too much water or too little? (Schizophragma hydrangeoides)

Posted by SharonMurphy 7a (My Page) on
Sun, May 25, 14 at 16:12

I recently planted seven Moonlight Climbing Hydrangeas as part of my "block out the neighbors vehicle hoarding" project. (zone 7a) The soil is all clay, I dug a really big hole, added claybreaker to the bottom, added the plant, and more claybreaker around the sides, topping it off with topsoil. (for each plant, not seven in the same hole lol) Most of them seem to be adjusting well, but a couple not so much. The leaves are pale, droopy and starting to curl a little. I don't know if the clay is holding the water in the hole too much and drowning it, or if I am watering it too lightly in fear of this.

What are the behaviors of too much water compared to too little water for this plant?

This post was edited by SharonMurphy on Sun, May 25, 14 at 16:31

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too much water or too little? (Schizophragma hydrangeoides)

It appears to need a good, slow soaking to me. Take your garden hose, turn it on to just a trickle and set it at the base of the plant. Let it soak all day, then assess it the next day. If it's still wilted, take it back where you bought it and get another.

o
RE: Too much water or too little? (Schizophragma hydrangeoides)

Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here