Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aka_peggy

Grandpa Ott; Never again...

aka_peggy
16 years ago

3 years ago I planted 1 plant of G.O on a trellis beside my porch. I planted 2 others on the fence around my veggie garden. Oh what a beauty they were to behold every morning! I really hated when a frost killed them in late fall but I deligently collected every seed I could find.

Early last May, to my surprise, there were 1000's of G.O seedlings growing under the arbor and along the fence. I kinda freaked that 3 plants could produce that many volunteers so I pulled them all! Within a week they were all back.

I was sure the pole beans I planted along the fence last year would eventually shade out the G.O and they'd be unable to bloom. NOT! So, I laid down a thick mulch of shredded hardwood but that didn't stop them either. Thus began a summer long ritual of pulling morning glory seedlings every week. This continued until a frost. I made sure that none of the flowers that made it by me were able to go to seed.

Well lo and behold the warm temps we've had the last week has brought out a new crop of G.O seedlings. Not as many as last spring this time but a lot. Will it ever end!!?

I'll just stick to growing my old standby heavenly blue from here on.

Comments (10)